|Y'all are in for a treat. Curls Dynasty is that JAM!|
Just thought I'd warn you.
This month alone, I'm gearing up for a ton of reviews on brand new products, hair growth challenge updates, holiday style inspo, and of course - Christina's Choice 2016. Yup, the best of the best is coming. And this year, it's gonna be epic. So get ready!
But today, I wanna titillate your inner product junkie by deep diving into some new-new, Black owned, hair-lovin' goodness: Curls Dynasty.
I came across Curls Dynasty in preparation for my Ultimate Sale Guide, and I knew I'd be kicking myself later if I passed up the opportunity to review two of their top products. Let's dive right in:
Pumpkin Mint Deep Treatment Masque
$16 for 8oz
|Pumpkin is EVERYTHING this season!|
- Organic Aloe Vera Juice: Acts as a natural conditioning agent that restores the hair's sheen, luster, and shine. It not only makes the hair soft, but it also enhances strength and suppleness.
- Extracts of Peppermint, Yucca, Horsetail, Nettle, and Melissa Leaf: Herbal blend that stimulates scalp circulation and nourishment while strengthening hair at the root to prevent breakage and shedding.
- Soybean Oil: Carrier oil used to lubricate and nourish the hair, providing softness and shine.
- Red Palm Oil: Less processed palm oil rich in vitamins E, D, K, and beta carotene - all which help boost scalp health and hair growth by nourishing and promoting cell growth. Contains essential nutrients to reduce breakage, shedding, and dry itchy scalp.
- Organic Pumpkin Seed Oil: Pressed oil of the seeds of pumpkin that naturally contains DHT-blocking elements, suppressing hair loss and supporting hair growth. Studies show that after 24 weeks of use of pumpkin seed oil, patients had a 40% improvement in hair count.
No - contains keratin and wheat proteins.
Curly Girl Friendly?
Have you ever just looked at a product and knew it was gonna bless your tresses in a mighty way? That's the exact feeling I got from the Pumpkin Mint Deep Treatment Masque. The fragrance is minty, yet cocoa-buttery, if that makes any sense. The consistency is thick and smooth, like cake icing almost. I love seeing the flecks of allspice and nutmeg - there's just something oddly gratifying about it. But performance-wise? LOVE. Not only was the Pumpkin Mint Deep Treatment Masque super easy to spread and work through my hair (hey slip!), it was almost like it melted right in. I was super generous in my application on hair and scalp. Yep, I even made sure to hit my scalp with it. Why? Because. Pumpkin. Seed. Oil. Is. The. Bomb. But we'll touch on that in another post. Just know that when I put the Pumpkin Mint Deep Treatment Masque on my hair and scalp, it went on smooth and fuss free - and thanks to the thick, creamy consistency, there wasn't a mess in my shower. I followed the instructions to a tee, and sat under my brand new Modern Elements hooded dryer from Sally's (worth every penny, and definitely a game changer!) for 20 minutes.
|Can't you just tell it's delish?!|
|No, but really.|
The hardest thing for me to do is look for something wrong with a flawless product. Even with my overzealous application, I can easily get at least 4 more uses out of the jar. And that's with me piling it on. I guess at this point, the only fault I can find is that I can't find it on my local Target store's shelf. But other than that, I got nothin'.
The Bottom Line
Dry hair? Pumpkin Mint Deep Treatment Masque. Frizzy hair? Pumpkin Mint Deep Treatment Masque. Breaking hair? Pumpkin Mint Deep Treatment Masque. Thinning hair? Pumpkin Mint Deep Treatment Masque. Bae trippin'? Pumpkin Mint Deep Treatment Masque. Navient payment due right before Christmas? Pumpkin Mint Deep Treatment Masque. Seriously, this deep treatment is BOMB and right on time for EVERYTHING you could imagine. It's perfect for natural, color treated, transitioning, damaged, healthy, kinky, curly, and everything in between. 20 minutes under a dryer with the Pumpkin Mint Deep Treatment Masque just might change ya life.
Would I Buy it Again?
In a heartbeat. Without reservation. Indubitably.
$15 for 8oz
|For all you moisture loving, creamy leave-in/styler fiends!|
- Organic Aloe Juice infused with Organic Marshmallow Root: Acts as a natural conditioning agent that restores the hair's sheen, luster, and shine. It not only makes the hair soft, but it also enhances strength and suppleness. Marshmallow root adds slip, sheen, and extra conditioning properties.
- Castor Oil: Thick, highly viscous oil with antibacterial, antifungal, and humectant properties. It is also a great moisture sealant, and promotes hair thickening and growth.
- Shea Butter: Emollient fat from the nut of the East or West African shea nut tree used to moisturize and soften hair.
- Manuka Honey: Honey variety native to Australia and New Zealand touted for it's low pH (4.5) making it an excellent conditioning and pH-balancing treatment for hair. Manuka Honey is also used to relieve dry scalp, promote hair growth in thinning areas, soften the hair, fight frizz, and add shine.
- Behentrimonium Methosulfate: Gentle surfactant made from non-GMO rapeseed (canola oil), and is one of the mildest detangling ingredients out there. It doesn't cause buildup or irritation to the scalp.
- Cetearyl Alcohol: Considered "fatty alcohol" -- NOT to be confused with drying alcohols such as ethyl. Acts as a lubricant, thickener, and emollient. Also gives conditioner its velvety feel without making hair greasy. Is additionally used to keep product ingredients from separating.
Where do I begin?
I teased a few photos on Instagram and Snapchat, letting my peeps know that I had tried a new leave-in under my styling gel. Perhaps leave-in was a misnomer – it was definitely a cream. I just treated it like my leave-in. Well, in case you were wondering – I was talking about Twisted Definition.
|Teaser from Instagram|
Like, lean in and listen.
This stuff is LIT. And I wasn’t even expecting it. Normally, I don’t get hype over leave-ins and creams, because when it comes to styling, I’ve always felt like gel was the star of the show. Surely, I preach about the importance of a great leave-in in terms of moisture retention and capturing the curl pattern – which always holds true. A bad leave-in will yield bad styling results. But deeeeeeep deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep down inside, I always felt like on some level, most leave-ins and creams are the same. But if 2016 has shown me anything, it’s that what you put under your gel can make ALL the difference. Some leave-ins and creams don’t moisturize as well, or for as long. Others will cause your hair to frizz more quickly. And still there are others that hit all the marks and will have you in the mirror like whoa – this is gonna be a GREAT hair day.
I styled my wash and go per usual – applying Twisted Definition in 4 sections on soaking wet hair. I applied it generously – but I didn’t go overboard. I absolutely LOVED how it absorbed right into my hair and added weight to my curls without feeling greasy or oily. In the quest for definition and style longevity, heavy products are my friends.
And then, I applied my Eco Styler gel, per usual. And the results BLEW me away. Did you ever look at your wet hair results and just know it was gonna be bomb? Yep, that was me. Twisted Definition even kept my unruly crown in check. Eco Styler alone never does that – I always have to re-apply. But here I am, with my crown on its best behavior.
Twisted Definition did not disappoint whatsoever. Thick, but not too thick, super creamy, buttery smooth, and full of moisture without a greasy feel. A total win in my book
Do y’all ever get tired of me saying there’s nothing wrong with a product? I wonder sometimes if you guys think I’m lying. I promise, I’m not. Twisted Definition is BOMB. I don’t know what else to say. If you’re looking for a pitfall, you’re looking at the wrong product!
The Bottom Line
Christina’s Choice 2016 is coming up, and I’ve got some tough decisions to make. But in the meantime, if you’re dealing with dry, frizzy, unruly, easily dehydrated, difficult to define curls – Twisted Definition is definitely worth a try. Me and Twisted Definition are getting reeeeeeeal cozy this December.
Would I Buy it Again?
Yes, yes, yes, and more yes. This definition says it ALL:
|Day 2 hair. 100% dry. Defined as all get out. Yessssssssss!|
Black Owned - 3:41 PM
Y'all are in for a treat. Curls Dynasty is that JAM! It's the 4th of December, and I'...